Thursday, June 19, 2014

Yangshuo: Take Three, Part Two

After a good nights rest we all had some breakfast and prepared to bike and hike in Yangshuo's stifling summer heat.

We arrived at the bike shop full of enthusiasm and excitement. I knew that Chinese bikes are several rungs below American bikes in terms of quality, so I rigorously tested my bike, had the brakes tightened, and seat adjusted to perfection.

Our classmate, Rainman, decided to ride a tandem bike with one of the CLI interns. Tandem bikes are never a good idea. The novelty of them may be entertaining for about ten seconds but they soon become bulky, dangerous, relationship-destroying hunks of metal. Naturally, our group raised no protest at Rainman's request and allowed him to proceed unhindered.

With our new bikes in tow we headed out to see the country side. Just as we rounded the corner onto the main road I attempted to gear up only to hear a clang and a pop, and feel my pedals go limp. Great.

My bike was still functioning, but as I explained to the group, I was putting in sixth gear effort and receiving second gear output. I looked like a hamster on a wheel my legs were moving so fast. According to those around me my chain on my bike was still attached to the real wheel, but was so loose it was hanging limp.

Two minutes into the ride and I was drenched in sweat.

My classmates were all very compassionate, and even offered to carry my backpack, but this was my burden alone. My professor, Ken Stiles, on the other hand, couldn't stop laughing and calling me Chainman.

After the scenic ride, we stopped for lunch in a generously air-conditioned restaurant before hiking Yangshuo's famous moon hill. It's a tough, grueling, uphill hike, and added to my exhaustion. After returning to the hotel I collapsed into a sweaty heap, showered, and prepared for our evening activity: Zhang Yimou's Impressions.

Zhang Yimou was the director of China's Olympic opening ceremony in 2008 and has damn near legendary status on the mainland. This particular show has been running for years and has much critical acclaim. This was my second time seeing it.

Upon arriving at the amphitheater, the sky opened up. It started raining buckets on our heads. Our jackets and umbrellas were all stored conveniently on the bus, a mile or so away. We quickly donned the paper thin ponchos provided by the amphitheater and stood under a tiny canopy questioning our commitment to this show.

We decided to bail. Unfortunately, the tickets were bought and paid for and, this is China, so no refunds. Besides, they said, it will stop raining soon and the show will start.

Soaked to the bone, we sat in our equally moist seats and enjoyed the best Zhang Yimou had to offer.

Wet, tired, and defeated, we got on our bus and headed back to Guilin in preparation of our second week of classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment